Firm History at Hungerford Nichols CPAs + Advisors
As our firm has grown, so has our level of specialization and expertise, driven by the addition of moreand key technical staff. View the history of our firm below.
|1941||– Firm begins as McEwan & Kauffman by partners C. Samuel McEwan and Gordon Kauffman in Grand Rapids, Michigan.|
|1952||– Ken Hungerford Sr. joins the firm.|
|1959||– Firm renamed Kauffman, Hungerford & Co.|
|1965||– Gordon Kauffman leaves the firm to form Grand Rapids office of Touche Ross.
– Firm renamed K.G. Hungerford & Co.
|1978||– Cliff Aldrin promoted to Shareholder.
– Firm renamed Hungerford and Co., PC.
|1979||– Jerry Nichols promoted to Shareholder.|
|1984||– Dan Carter promoted to Shareholder.|
|1986||– Firm renamed Hungerford, Aldrin, Nichols & Carter, PC (HANC).|
|1993||– Offices move to current location of 2910 Lucerne Drive SE., Grand Rapids, Michigan.|
|1995||– Peggy Murphy joins the firm. She is the first female Shareholder.
– Began Annual Update for Accountants seminar to educate clients and colleagues. In lieu of a registration fee, the firm encourages attendees to donate to the non-profit organization selected for the year.
|1996||– Rick Chrisman promoted to Shareholder.|
|1998||– Phil Saurman joins the Firm as Shareholder, adding governmental audit expertise.
– Firm admitted to membership in AGN International.
|1999||– Firm acquired SourcIT which provides technology solutions to local businesses.
– Firm named “Small Business of the Year” by the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce.
|2001||– Mitch Burger, Carla Grant and Tom Prince promoted to Shareholders.|
|2005||– Firm acquires Greenville, Michigan CPA firm.|
|2007||– Named West Michigan’s Best & Brightest Company to Work for by the Michigan Business & Professional Association. The Firm continues to receive this award annually.|
|2010||– Accounting Today Magazine named the Firm “One of the Best Accounting Firm’s to Work For”.
– The firm continues to receive this award annually.
|2011||– Firm adds Thomas Price to manage newly formed affiliate Hungerford Financial.|
|2012||– Conducted a sustainability study to understand the Firm’s impact on the environment.
– Firm starts green initiative.
– Rick Chrisman promoted to Managing Shareholder.
|2013||– Firm adds Kerry Bean to develop newly formed affiliate Hungerford Valuation.
– Firm renamed to Hungerford Nichols CPAs + Advisors.
|2014||– Adriane Schrauben and Doug Schmitt promoted to Shareholders.
– Firm announces merger with Dean Jensen CPA, PC and Christine W. Kohn, PLLC CPA/Tax firms in Greenville, Michigan.
|2016||– Brett Karhoff and Aaron Sal promoted to Shareholders.
– Firm receives Pillar Award for career advancement initiatives for women and for efforts in creating a supportive work culture.
– Firm celebrates 75th Anniversary.
|2017||– Gerbel & Company, located in St. Joseph, Michigan merged with Hungerford Nichols.
– Firm purchases and remodels building at 2910 Lucerne in Grand Rapids.
– Brian Wisneski promoted to Shareholder.
– SourcIT changes its name to Hungerford Technologies.
|2018||– Jon Sytsma promoted to Shareholder.|
|2019||– Conn, Geneva, Robinson located in Muskegon, Michigan merges with Hungerford Nichols.|
|2021||– Firm launches Fraud & Litigation practice.
– Matt Clarin, Tessa Keena, and Steve Triezenberg promoted to Shareholder.
– Firm recognized by Inside Public Accounting as one of the 300 largest public accounting firms in the United States.
|2022||– Tom Prince elected Managing Shareholder.|
Connect With Our Team
To learn more about our firm’s history, get in touch with our CPAs and business advisors today. We have five locations across West Michigan to help serve you better. Visit our offices in Grand Rapids, Greenville, Holland, Muskegon, or St. Joseph. We look forward to serving you!