• Currently pursuing doctorate of business administration (DBA) from University of Wisconsin – Whitewater.
• Master of business administration (MBA) from Michigan State University.
• Bachelor of business administration (BBA) in accounting from Grand Valley State University.
What is your area of specialty – how do you best help your clients?
• Accounting & auditing consulting.
• Quality control regarding accounting & auditing engagements.
• Specialized ad hoc consulting projects.
• Empirical and professional research that offers practical solutions for closely-held companies and their stakeholders.
What are your top 5 strengths? What is your favorite strength?
Communication is my favorite strength because I teaching is my passion. I also love public speaking and my TV/radio interviews.
How do you like to give back to the community?
I serve as an affiliate instructor of accounting for Grand Valley State University’s Seidman College of Business. A frequent speaker, I also taught a variety of continuing education courses for several state CPA societies.
I am frequently interviewed by media outlets on a variety of financial, tax, and accounting topics.
What are your superpowers – something you’re good at that others should know about?
• I like to simplify complicated concepts.
• I can translate technical jargon into plain English.
Accomplishment you’re proud of?
Helping shape the next generation of business professionals.
Tell us about your life outside of work (family/pets/sports/activities/interests/hobbies)
I earned my Master of Business Administration from Michigan State University and my Bachelor of Business Administration from Grand Valley State University.
I’m an instrument-rated commercial pilot who enjoys traveling in my airplane as well as running, bicycling, camping, and spending time with my wife Sarah, daughter Brooke, and son Blake.
What is your favorite part of working at the firm?
I love HN’s culture. Even as the firm continues to grow, we have retained a family atmosphere. I love the supportive and collaborative environment.